Clean filtered water is critical to healing inflammation, losing weight, restoring and maintaining health. Unfortunately, the water you get from the tap is not clean. In this article, I’ll explain why your tap water isn’t clean and what to do about it in this complete guide to buying water filters for your home and everyday life.
This is a post in a series about The 4 Pillars that I teach to all my clients. If you are dieting and exercising hard but still not losing weight, these are the first things I’d look at. You can get a full overview of what The 4 Pillars are and why they are important by reading this article here.
Why your tap water isn’t clean.
We put a LOT of chemicals into our water in the United States. You. Me. Everyone.
The medications and supplements you take come out in your urine. That goes into the toilet and our water supply.
The detergents and cleaners you use to wash your clothes, dishes, home – everything – that goes into our water supply.
The chemicals we use on our lawns… The chemicals businesses use… the pesticides conventional farmers use… the chemicals the world uses…. the face wash you use… the makeup… everything you put on your body and shower or wash off… it all goes into the water supply.
Your municipal government is responsible for the enormous task of making sure the chemicals you and the world put into the water system so that when we turn on our faucets, we aren’t getting poisons that will kill us immediately in our drinking water.
What’s more, there are 10,000 chemicals currently used in food and beauty care products, 90% of which have never been tested for human health and safety. Hundreds more chemicals are created and added to the marketplace every year. Many of these chemicals end up in our water.
Many of the chemicals currently used in our beauty care, food, and home products are estrogen mimickers (read: hormone imbalancers and disruptors) and/or may create inflammation in your body.
I recently did a Mediator Release Test to see what common foods and chemicals create inflammation in my body and were keeping me from losing weight and healing. Here were my results:
See the FD&C Red #4 and Yellow #6? Those are in everything from Mike & Ike’s to my favorite organic self-tanner (which I sadly no longer use). And see the S.M.B. sulfite and SOD. sulfite? Those are in a LOT of shampoos and hair care products which is why I only use Beautycounter hair products now.
What I’m getting at is that there are thousands of chemicals and medications that commonly create health problems for people. They get into our water supply when we go to the bathroom and clean ourselves and our environments.
Our governments can get out the deadly poisons out of the water – which is already a HUGE feat of engineering – but they can’t get out every medication we’ve urinated out or plastic estrogen mimicker (like the microbeads that used to be in face exfoliators but are now banned).
How These Contaminates Affect Your Body
You may not realize it but the contaminants in your water may be…
- creating inflammation in your body (diagnosed or undiagnosed) that may be creating illness, autoimmunity, or an inability to lose weight.
- creating hormone imbalance such as thyroid disorders, mood swings, intense PMS symptoms, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and more.
- create skin issues such as rashes or acne.
There are so many ways other people’s medications and chemicals could be negatively affecting your body!!!!! Fortunately, there is a really easy way to fix this and protect yourself from all of this: good daily water filters.
I’ve been using water filters in my body and home for years. The difference in how I looked and felt was drastic. In this hilarious photo (hilarious because of the look on my face), I hadn’t fully committed to clean water. I was learning about it but hadn’t purchased any water filters yet.
Everything about me was bigger. I thought I was just fat and not dieting or exercising “hard enough.”
Before Water Filters
After Water Filters
It turns out I wasn’t fat. I was just inflamed. See how different my cheeks, shoulders, and arms look?
(I’m trying to find more side by side pictures for you. At the time of all of these photos, I didn’t realize I was inflamed. My noticing these big differences later on was an accident. Healing inflammation is a slow – but completely worth it – process that can take years.)
Today, I don’t drink water unless it’s filtered. RARE is my exposure to unfiltered water. Clean water in combination with the other 3 pillars (remember… The 4 Pillars, right?) have transformed how I look and feel.
Switching To Safer Water
It may seem like a lot of work at first but it doesn’t have to. I’ve done all the research and work for you right here in this super simple “just click and buy” Complete Guide to Water Filters. These are the water filters I’ve purchased and used in all areas of my life. Find the combination what works best for you. Hope you love them as much as I do!!
The Complete Guide to Water Filters
1. Getting A Filtered Water Bottle
I just upgraded my 18 oz Klean Kanteen for a 40 oz Hydro Flask in cobalt blue. Why? Because we should be drinking around half our body weight in ounces of water each day. And since I office at coffee shops all over Austin and don’t drink unfiltered water, I need a bottle big enough to keep me hydrated with filtered water.
I usually fill my bottle up at home with my filtered water. But when I’m out and need a refill, there’s nothing I can do because there’s no filtered water around. And I’m just not willing to drink unfiltered tap water.
So there were two problems:
- I was running out of water with my 18 oz bottle.
- When I ran out, filtered water wasn’t available so I just didn’t refill my water.
To solve both problems, I just bought a new BIGGER water bottle and water bottle filter today and I am sooooo excited about it!! When it comes in, I’ll take photos and add them here. Here is what I bought today:
- Hydro Flask 40 oz Double Wall Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Leak Proof Sports Water Bottle, Wide Mouth with BPA Free Flex Cap, Cobalt
- And the Epic Water Filter that fits inside my new 40 oz Hydro Flask.
The hydro flask is great because it’s a safe stainless steal meaning that, unlike plastic bottles, this flask won’t leach plastic into my water. Plastic is an estrogen mimicker and can imbalance your hormones and mess with your thyroid.
The Epic Water Filter filters out 99.99% of the heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and other toxins out of tap water. This means I can work ANYWHERE, get tap water refills on my huge bottle, and still be safe. YAY!
2. Filtered Water at Home
You have a few options for filtered water at home. Here is what I have owned, used, and loved:
1. Aquasana Clean Water Machine, Powered Water Filter Pitcher – This is the water filter I use at home in our kitchen to get room temperature water for our Breville Barista Express Coffee Maker. I have a subscription to the filters with Aquasana. They ship a new one every 6 months.
2. Brio Essential Series Bottom Load Hot, Cold & Room Water Cooler Dispenser – This is what we use for filling our water bottles (before I bought my new cool water bottle set up!!). What we love about this water filter is that we get instant hot water for making tea or adding to our toxin-free espresso to make Americanos.
The only downside is that you have to go fill up the 5 gallon bottles once a week.
3. You can get an Aquasana Reverse Osmosis filtration system that attaches to your faucet if you want to avoid going to fill your water bottles.
4. Or you can make sure all the water in your home is safe, including your shower water, with the Aquasana 10-Year, 1,000,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filtration System. This is going to be my next purchase for the house!!
Have questions or recommendations? Let me know here. And let me know what system you decide to go with!!